Sunday, April 22, 2007

Hatter Chatter.. about crocheting hats..


When ever I have created a crochet hat or cap recipe (pattern) it will have been the result of need or special request. The camoflage hat was designed to fill a request made by one of our grown up sons. He wanted a particular fit and manly look. Of course you are not required to use camoflage yarn :-)

When I crochet a hat in the round I make certain to leave a 4 to 6 inch tail when starting the begining ring and then after a few rounds I give that tail a good hard yank to cinch the hole closed. The remainder is then woven in on the inside of the hat and trimmed.

All hats that are crocheted in the round are based on the same basic templete; begin at the center and work increase rounds untill crown is desired circumference. You then contiunue to work rounds with out making increases and stop when your hat is long enough. Even fancier, floppy brimed, roll brim, tams and visored caps start out life the same way.

I hope you will use my basic recipes to create your own!