Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A Just Right Crochet Cloche Hat


Last evening I used my HDC (Half Double Crochet) hat recipe to tailor a hat that fits me just right. Not too tight or too loose. I'd call this a cloche (close fitting) hat. I designed my original HDC hat to be a versatile starting place and to show off what multi colored (variegated ) yarn can do; for this hat I used Red Heart's "Stars and Stripes" (red, white and blue). This should fit most ladies and is a nice "chemo cap" when made with a soft yarn.

Here are my working notes:

H hook
Red Heart Super Saver or Classic or similar type yarn

Work HDC hat, medium size, total of 16 rounds.
Chain one and work 2 rounds of single crochet,
Change to size G hook and work one more round of sc.
Join in first sc and fasten off.
This is also pretty in plain colors.